Wednesday, November 16, 2005

I Really Hate Insensitive, Shallow People

How does one react when another person is being a complete insensitive idiot? Most of us just sit around and let them be idiots.

But is that really the right way to handle it? If they aren't hurting anyone, then fine. But what about when they are hurting people who are around them? If these people will never see each other again, it might be appropriate to ignore it.

But what if those situations don't apply? If these are people that have to tolerate each other every day? Do you say something to the insensitive boob, or just reassure the person being hurt? And if you say something to the boob, how do you do it in a way that has an impact without starting a royal fight?

There are people like this in my class. You would think that being in a massage class that most, if not all, these people would be a bit more enlightened and accepting. Not so.

We are currently in Nutrition class. This class alone could give someone an eating disorder. In fact, I know at least two females in the class caused themselves to throw up because they felt bad about their weight and what they were eating based on what they learned in nutrition. Might be more if the teacher weren't accepting of people the way they are. Plus she admits herself that she doesn't really eat right.

But there are two guys in the class who sit in back and make fat jokes about nearly everyone else. These guys think Tyra Banks is fat. So she models VCs plus size lingerie. She's got a big bust! She's NOT fat! (Post-post note: This is before she gained weight, and even then, I still don't think she's fat.)

They make comments about the teacher being fat, about this one being obese, this one's skeleton alone weighing 100 lbs. (I flipped em off for that one! Childish, I know, but at least it was on their level so they were able to understand it.) You know, according to those stupid charts, Catherine Zeta Jones and Marilyn Monroe are/were obese. Unless your ideal date is someone from the Donner party, then you know these two women have healthy sizes...but they are not fat.

Another person that was being insensitive is actually really a sweet girl. She's young, and very opinionated. Sweetie, if you read this, I love you, but it really hurts when you tell me that international adoption is wrong. Do I tell you I have a really big problem with people who smoke? You smoke, and I think cigarettes should be outlawed everywhere. Do I tell you who to date? No. Because those are personal decisions that you have a right to make, just as I and my husband have a right to make a personal decision about where we adopt from. I know that your family has been a foster family to many children, and I admire you for that. Just remember that I have been researching the adoption process for many countries, including this one's foster system for several years now, and found that my heart lies in Ukraine. You saying you have a huge problem with international adoption is telling me that my feelings are wrong. You can't help who you love.

So I'm stepping down off of my soapbox now. I have an adoption to plan.

No comments: